Saturday 27 October 2012

Yummy in my Tummy || Apple Crumble

I can't cook.
I'd love to be able to, so when I do it's rare. It's also often a dessert when I do cook, simply because it's more fun and they last longer...and usually are much more satisfying on my sugar craving belly!

So...I made Apple Crumble, 
a favourite from when I was young and just the perfect time of year with all the gorgeous ripe apples.

I decided to take pictures as I made it just in case anyone else fancied making it too. Trust me this is the simplest recipe in the world but is so tasty, and I was fairly proud that it tasted anywhere near how my mum used to make it.

You will need:



A bag of cooking apples (Bramleys)
9oz self-raising flour
6oz butter/margarine (Stork)
3oz Sugar

AND THAT'S IT!

(These are in ounces because it's my mums recipe and that's what she measures in, I'm unsure what they are in grams, sorry.)

Method:

1. Get your bag of apples, (I used the whole bag which had 6 small-ish apples in) peel them and cut them into small-ish pieces.

2. Put these pieces into a pan, sprinkle 1tbsp of sugar over them, and put a SMALL amount of water in - I had about an inch of water in the bottom of the pan, no more than this or your apple will be too watery.


It should look like this ^^^ 

3. Turn on the gas and once the apples start to boil, let them simmer. This should take around 10 minutes in total. Stir it often, you should notice that the apples end up very mushy looking - this doesn't look too good but is exactly as it should be.


4. Now for the crumble! First get your scales and mixing bowl. I weigh it into a little bowl first and then transfer the ingredients into the main bowl.


*Big cheer for my Cocoa Pops bowl YEAHHH!!*

5. Weigh out your flour, butter, and sugar and put them into the mixing bowl.


6. Now for the fun part...REALLY fun. Get stuck in with your hands, (don't forget to wash them!) and 'rub' the mixture together. This might take a few minutes, but you should end up with something that looks like breadcrumbs.


7. Put your apple into an oven proof dish, and your crumble on top. 

8. Put in the oven at gas mark 5 for about 35-40 minutes, (keep checking!) until it's golden brown on top. 




9. Serve with custard or cream...and enjoy!! My other half did. :)


Look at that cheesy grin haha.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a big thank you to anyone who takes the time to leave a comment, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it, and I genuinely love to read, and will TRY and reply to each and every one of them.